4.2 Preparing for the hospital stay
- Copies of any documents issued by your doctor with regard to admission to hospital and medical insurance
- Copies of examination results
- Allergy documentation
- Diabetic documentation
- X-ray documentation
- Blood group documentation
Medication and aids
If you are taking medication at home, take this with you in sufficient quantity – ideally in the original packaging with package insert. Don’t forget your spectacles, any dental fixtures and other necessary items.
Fasting or not fasting?
For some examinations or treatment procedures you will not be allowed to have eaten or drunk anything over a long period of time. This may also be true for short hospital stays, for example if you are to be examined once again before the operation. Therefore: please don’t forget to ask for how long before your hospital stay are you allowed to eat/drink!
- A pair of slippers and shoes with a good grip
- Light clothing
- Sports suit
- Dressing gown
- Nightdress or pyjamas
- Enough underwear
- Hand towels, washcloths, handkerchiefs
- Shampoo, soap, deodorant
- Toothbrush, toothpaste
- Comb, hairbrush
- Ladies hygiene items
What you should not take with you
If possible, you should not take any valuables with you to hospital, for example large amounts of cash or valuable jewellery. The hospital will not be held liable in the event of theft or loss.
If you must remain in hospital for a long time
In such cases you should consider letting friends and relatives know.
- Is it necessary to give someone a power of attorney to conduct administrative or bank transactions?
- Have you someone to look after your home (pets, plants, mail, deliveries?)